In the book, Goals by Brian Tracy, Brian states that if we write down our goals we are much more likely to achieve them.
Once we write them down, they become lodged in our subconscious and there is part of our brain that then starts to notice things associated with our goals/desires that we didn’t see before.
I experienced this back in 2004 when I was approached regarding a job with DHL, as soon as i had had the interview, I stated to notice the DHL vans, trucks and planes everywhere. They have very distinctive Yellow and Red coloring and do stand out, but prior to the interview I never noticed them. It wasn’t that they were not there, it was just I didn’t notice my brain wasn’t tuned in.
It’s the same if you decide to buy a house, your brain will notice adverts for cheap mortgages and you will see estate agents and for sale signed which were always right in front of you but that you never noticed.
Anyway, back to the Goals, as we start the New Year, now is the time for us to think about our Goals for 2013, these should include personal as well as professional, we can look at any aspect our or lives, family, work, leisure anything.
When we look to set our Goals, they should ideally be SMART Goals.
With Attainable, it doesn’t mean we should aim low, I believe that we should always aim big, improbable but not impossible.
I have already defined some personal goals for myself:
- Be unconditionally happy. We have the ability to decide whether to be happy or not, and I will choose to be happy
- Run a Marathon in 2013 – date is already set for April 28th and I am now looking to run in under 4hrs 30 mins
- Write a book on Leadership, I target to have first draft completed by May 2013
- Buy a house by end of 2013, not sure where yet, this could be fore retirement or to live in now
- Learn Italian, improve from beginner to intermediate
- Speak German more frequently, at least on a daily basis, and have more meetings in German
- Lose some weight, get down below 80kg by end of quarter, it’s only a kg per month
- Improve my photography skills, take a couple of courses, move on from beginner
- Visit New Zealand – possibly Xmas vacation next year
What about you, what are your goals for 2013!