I thought I’d take a moment to reflect on Work/Life balance, and possibly look at this from a different perspective.
I was wondering what were the best 10 moments of my life, here are some that occurred to me without too much thought:
- When I first met Carine, my wife
- When Carine and I got married
- When Dan, my son, was born
- When Jessica, my daughter, was born
- When Lucy, my second daughter, was born
- Winning the Headingley Trophy at Rugby League when I was 10
- Safari in South Africa with Carine, Dan, Jess and Lucy
- Being presented with my degree in Mathematics
- Listening to Dan sing at Carine’s 50 birthday
- Shopping with Jessica and Lucy for clothes in Lucca
I think I could continue for a long time before I actually come up with anything that is work related.
Sure I have worked on some great projects, delivered some great results, had excellent feedback for a presentation, but none of them come close to any of the moments listed above, or any of the others I can think of in the top 50.
So in terms of Work Life Balance, all of my best moments come from Life.
Maybe we should all do this little exercise, and then think about how we should better split our time between Work and Life.
If all of our most precious moments come from Life and not Work, maybe we need to address our focus.
Just a thought 🙂